Scroll Top

Sylvia Garza-Perez, County Clerk

Marriage License

Marriage licenses are recorded with the Vital Statistics Department. In order to apply for a marriage license, both applicants must meet certain requirements. Both applicants must present themselves in person at any of our branch locations.

Unable to come in person to our office to apply for a formal marriage license application?  Then join us via video conference.  The same basic requirements listed below apply, however, instead of coming into our office you will join us via your home computer.   Click here to apply for our virtual option.

Technical requirements include:

  • Access to computer/laptop
  • Reliable, high-speed internet access
  • Audio and visual capabilities (i.e., microphone, speakers, webcam)

Remote Marriage Licensing - Powered by GovOS

If one party is not available to be present, the other party, or an adult representative, may bring a completed and notarized AFFIDAVIT OF ABSENT APPLICANT FOR MARRIAGE LICENSE (PDF), with a photocopy of the absent applicant’s valid ID.

An informal marriage license can be obtained by a couple who has agreed to be married, lives together in the state of Texas, and represents themselves as married. An absent affidavit application cannot be used for the informal marriage license.


Our office can provide Certified Copies of a Marriage License and A Declaration and Registration of Informal Marriage Certificate if the application was completed in Cameron County from 1848 to the present day for $21 per copy. To request a copy of a license purchased in another county, please contact that county’s County Clerk Office.

Order Certified Copies of Marriage Records Online

Click on the link below to be taken to our secure online portal:

Name Changes

If a party wishes to change their name after the marriage, they may do so through the Texas Department of Public Safety and the Social Security Administration. The name on the marriage license will not change.