Commissioner Pct. 4, Gus Ruiz
After having been born in Chicago, Illinois, Gus and his family moved to Harlingen, Texas where his parents raised him and his siblings. Gus graduated from Harlingen High School in May of 1999 where he excelled in athletics having played varsity football, track, and swimming.
After graduating from high school, Gus enrolled at the University of Texas-Pan American (UTPA) during the fall of 1999. Wanting to serve our country, Gus enlisted in the United States Marine Corps and began boot camp in San Diego, California in July of 2000.
After graduating from the School of Infantry, Gus moved back home to finish college. However, after the events of 9-11, Gus and his Marine Unit were deployed to Iraq in August of 2004. Prior to deploying, Gus was 1 of 25 Marines selected from the entire battalion to attend an Iraqi Familiarization Course where they learned Modern Standard Arabic.
In Iraq when Gus was not conducting his job as an Infantry Fire Team Leader, Gus assisted during the first ever Iraqi Democratic Elections in January of 2005 as a translator. Because of his role as Platoon Translator, Gus received a Certificate of Commendation. After serving one tour in Iraq, Gus came back home to Harlingen and graduated from UTPA with honors receiving Bachelor of Arts Degrees in Political Science and Sociology in December of 2005.
Gus was honorably discharged from the Marines as a Sergeant during the fall of 2006 and during that same time he began his professional studies. Gus graduated from South Texas College of Law in May of 2009 and became licensed to practice law in November of 2009. Wanting to do more for his community, Gus was elected to the Harlingen City Commission in May of 2010 where he represented District No. 1 for about one year and a half. During that time, Gus was a Cameron County Assistant District Attorney for about two years where he helped protect the rights of Cameron County citizens. On March 19, 2016 Gus was sworn in as Cameron County Commissioner of Precinct No. 4. Today, Gus enjoys spending his free time with his wife and three children.
Hours of Operation
|Gus Ruiz||26623 White Ranch Rd.||Monday – Friday|
|County Commissioner Pct. 4||La Feria, Tx 78559||8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.|
|Email: email@example.com||Ph: (956) 427-8069 | Fax (956) 427-8071||1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
- State of the County Address to Harlingen Chamber of Commerce on December 4, 2019.
- State of the County Address to Harlingen Chamber of Commerce on March 28, 2018.
- Presentation to Commissioners Court on July 31, 2018, regarding the needs of Pct. 4.
- Texas Committee On Higher Education
- Resolution in Oppostion to HB 3766 – Relating to Tuition and Fee Exemptions at Public Institutions of Higher Education for Legacy Students who are Eligible for Tuition and Fee Exemptions Under the Hazlewood Legacy Program.
- La Feria Parks Interlocal – August 2022
- City of Primera – April 2022
- La Feria Interlocal – December 2021
- Combes Interlocal – October 2021
- City of Harlingen Garrett Road – December 2020
- Harlingen Irrigation District C.C. #1 – September 2019
- City of Palm Valley – April 2019
- HCISD – March 2019
- Town of Combes – February 2019
- City of Primera – May 2018
- Hidalgo County – May 2017
- City of Los Indios – February 2017
- City of Santa Rosa – 2016 / 2017
2020 - 2021
Celina J. Contreras, Community Outreach Coordinator
Commissioner Gus Ruiz Pct. 4
26623 White Ranch Rd.
Cell: (956) 372-4167
Office: (956) 887-6016
Fax: (956) 427-8071